These are all of the professional projects I've worked on over the years.
PGS works with teams to bridge gaps and provide central technology for servers, frameworks, and tools to speed up game development.
- Lead a group of 10 engineers that builds game services and tools for teams at PopCap and EA including Plants vs Zombies: Heroes, Bejeweled Stars, and many of PopCap’s classic games.
- Create and maintain a multi-month feature development roadmap.
- Collaborate with executives and game teams' leadership to prioritize development work between teams.
- Manage sprints and the communication of progress to stakeholders.
iOS, Android (North America), Android (Rest of World)
Plants vs Zombies 2 is a Free 2 Play tower defense game with humorous plants, zombies, and Crazy Dave from PopCap Games! It's been installed over 200 million times, which is 2.75% of the Earth's population. It was released in 2013 and has been updated over 40 times as a live service over several years.
- Managed and mentored up to six engineers.
- Scoped features, costed tasks, and prioritized work to ensure the team shipped on time.
- Shipped nine releases in nine months with all expected features and no crunch.
- Led engineering team to exceed fiscal target.
- Helped create a Scrum process for a team of 25 people.
- Collaborated on creating pillars, tenets, and quarterly goals for the entire engineering organization.
- Prototyped, developed, shipped, and supported Plants vs. Zombies 2 for over four years.
- Architected and developed pipeline for patch and asset creation and deployment to the CDN.
- Created and maintained Jenkins jobs for build creation and deployment.
- Rewrote in-game touch system to enable prioritized actions, multi-touch capabilities, and allow for unique gameplay functionality.
- Optimized the Flash animation export tool and reduced the export process from two minutes to one second.
- Created many unique plants and zombies and their gameplay behaviors.
- Implemented in-game purchase flow and SKU management system.
- Created data format to allow engineers to manipulate individual Flash sprites instead of entire animations.
- Estimated required development effort and timelines for specified features using SCRUM methodology.
- Ported PC version of Zuma’s Revenge to console platforms and updated the game to handle HD assets.
- Was the sole engineer for five months and managed three engineers for another five months.
- Created an in-game automation AI that played the game endlessly to record crashes and memory leaks.
- Completely rewrote UI for HD assets, console controls, and language translations (including Japanese).
- Created hot-load system for designers to live update the game to allow quick tuning.
- Adjusted game code to comply with Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 technical certification requirements.
- Engineered new gameplay abilities and modes, including a weekly leaderboard challenge and boss rush mode.
- Coordinated with designers and artists on requirements and priorities.
- Helped port PC version of Bejeweled 3 to Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
- Developed new leaderboard UI.
- Updated game to comply with technical certification requirements.
- Prototyped gameplay and built the framework as part of an eight-member Prototype team.
- Researched the design used in major MOBA titles and delivered findings in a two-hour presentation.
- Updated the version of Scaleform used in the engine.
- Tracked down one of the most gnarly bugs I've ever seen involving a mirror class, inheritance, and vtables.
- Integrated Steam and Games for Windows Live functionality.
- Implemented the gameplay for the ballista.
- Ported and extended the functionality of everything vehicle related including AI, traffic, damage, handling, and collision code.
- Added functionality and resolved bugs in non-player character AI, enemy AI, camera, and controller systems.
- Developed and implemented the garage repair system.
Windows (exe - 4.02mb)
Senior project written from scratch at DigiPen with a team of three. Fight a boss in a box in an arcade shooter.
- Designed and playtested multiple camera and control systems.
Windows (exe - 10.9mb)
Junior project written from scratch at DigiPen with a team of four. Fling minions across the map in a unique 8 player RTS game.
- Wrote 8 player networking completely from scratch using UDP.
- Created reliable packet sending.
- Migrated server to another client on disconnect.
- Allowed for 1000 units at a time with lock-step model.
Windows (exe - 24.7mb)
Sophomore project written from scratch at DigiPen with a team of four. 2D platforming stick fighting adventure game. Rip your opponents legs off and beat them with it!
- Created standalone level editor.
- Created tile editor that allowed custom collision per tile.
Windows (zip - 58kb)
Freshman project written from scratch at DigiPen with a team of four. Text based randomly created dungeon crawler.
- Created random dungeon generation.